International call rate charged different than what I was told by customer service
Anjan_s_message

I made an emergency call to India on 3/29/09 for 13 min. I realized later that I didn't have any international plan. So I called verizon customer service on 04/03/2009 to confirm what rate I will be charged for that specific call to India. I was told I will be charged $2.60/min for India, but he can't check how long I had talk at that time, because the computer software doesn't have the feature to check it right then, It will be available till the final monthly statement get published.  Yesterday I received my online bill and saw the rate I was charged was $6.77/min. So I called today to the customer sevice and eventually talk to the manager and I was told the rate I was chraged, correct and it is available online. So I have no other option but to pay this amount as I have no proof that I was told the rate of $2.60/min, as I don't have the person's name whom I talk to on 04/03/09 and nothing in writing.

I have no problem paying this amount, but I feel I was cheated. As the person I talk earlier could have told me the correct rate on 04/03/09. It's a lesson for me, next time I will try to keep something as proof.

0 Likes
Re: International call rate charged different than what I was told by customer service
vztelecom
Contributor - Level 1

You should have checked here to make sure :

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Phone/International/BasicInternationalRates/

He may have thought you had some sort of international plan, sorry.

Re: International call rate charged different than what I was told by customer service
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

@Anjan's message wrote:

I made an emergency call to India on 3/29/09 for 13 min. I realized later that I didn't have any international plan. So I called verizon customer service on 04/03/2009 to confirm what rate I will be charged for that specific call to India. I was told I will be charged $2.60/min for India, but he can't check how long I had talk at that time, because the computer software doesn't have the feature to check it right then, It will be available till the final monthly statement get published.  Yesterday I received my online bill and saw the rate I was charged was $6.77/min. So I called today to the customer sevice and eventually talk to the manager and I was told the rate I was chraged, correct and it is available online. So I have no other option but to pay this amount as I have no proof that I was told the rate of $2.60/min, as I don't have the person's name whom I talk to on 04/03/09 and nothing in writing.

I have no problem paying this amount, but I feel I was cheated. As the person I talk earlier could have told me the correct rate on 04/03/09. It's a lesson for me, next time I will try to keep something as proof.

Every time I spoke to someone at verizon they could see any of the calls I made prior to them.  Some of the reps were good about writing notes and some werent. but they at least know you called.  I don't think the reps have access to call data until the bills are run after your bill cycle date.

Though, i'm not sure why you feel cheated. The rate filed with your state's utilities commission was 6.77.  That's what they can charge.  The agent made a mistake and quoted you a bad rate.  Since everything was after the fact, it really is irrelevant.  You had to make the call because it was an emergency, you paid the correct rate, but you were told it was lower so the only thing you should be is surprised, not cheated.

Even if you had recorded the call, they really shouldn't credit you the difference because the rates on file with the sate were what you were charged.   If you asked before you called India, then it might be a slightly different story, but with a company that has so many different rate plans filed and so many different bundles, you would think with computers it should be easy toprovide accurate info.

I went to the dentist today, he told me I needed some work, I didn't ask how much, I just wanted it fixed...then I get a whopping bill at the end.  Should I feel cheated because he didn't tell me how much it should cost before he started drilling?   Like you, at the time it was an emergency and I wanted it fixed at what i thought was no matter the cost....until I got the bill, then i thought twice about what I should have done.  So I was more angry with myself than him.

Message Edited by MagicMan on 04-24-2009 09:21 PM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
You called Verizon after the fact, so you were not cheated. I had the same issue once but it was for a very long call to Peru. We had to pay up hundreds.  Like it has been said the person must have quoted you the wrong amount. I know if you budgeted for a $34 call, a $88 call is a chunk of change.  Oh well, all international calls will use an international calling card now purchased at the corner store. Without an international plan the rates are what they are. If you only call now and then, it is the least expensive way. Note that many of the calling cards purchased have minutes that expire, so it is not something you can buy and save for a long time.
Message Edited by prisaz on 05-24-2009 10:02 AM
0 Likes