Re: Noise on my line - no NID
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK. I checked with my handy neighbor and he showed me where to plug into the NID.  No dial tone at the NID.  I'm surprised that my wife and the Verizon technician both missed the fact that THE PHONE LINE WAS DEAD.

The DSL has been up and down.  The downstream margin is still in the 3 to 6 db range so no improvement on that front.

Message Edited by Josey23 on 01-23-2009 08:17 PM
0 Likes
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Our phone line is still disconnected.  Verizon says it may take 7 days to reconnect our phone line.  It will take 7 days because.....?

While we're waiting. Does anyone know if Verizon has any standards on the level of audible noise on a voice line?  Since the static changes over time, is there some kind of monitoring device that they could put on the line to see if the noise is too much? 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
When you open the NID there should be modules in there. You need to open the module's cover and there is a RJ-11 jack behind the cover.
0 Likes
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  My handy neighbor showed me how to flip open the plastic module to find the RJ-11 jack. Yep, the line is dead.

When we get a tech in here, what should my wife say to him (tests to run?) so that she doesn't get the same "Your DSL is working this instant so it must be completely fixed, bye" line.

0 Likes
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, there you go. It's fixed.

I feel bad that after a couple months of being nice that last week we finally started calling Verizon several times a day and asking for supervisors and getting our U.S. Representative's office involved. Basically, being a total pain got our line fixed.

A Verizon voice line technician was in our area on Tuesday and Verizon had him drop by our house, so we didn't have to wait until Saturday. He said the connection at the NID had been botched when it was installed last week.  After he fixed the NID, everything got better.  Why? Well, last week's technician had installed a new wire from the pole to our house and added an NID (our line was almost 60 years old and we had no NID).  It appears that the old line from the pole was our problem since November. 

The static on our voice line is gone and the DSL statistics have improved. We're paying for "768k" service and are now showing a DSL speed of 860 Kbits/sec with a downstream margin of 25 to 28 db.  Previously, our downstream margin was 1.5 to 7 db and the DSL was down more often than up.

I'm calling this one solved (for now)  Yippee!

0 Likes