Re: Verizon Call Assistant and Memory Leak?
CharlesRBasin

Interaction with what? The OS? I watched the working set grow from 4 MB to over 300 MB in less than 10 minutes before I killed the process. It is the VZVidgetEngine.exe which has the memory leak. The other 2 processes are well behaved.

process view

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I don't see it either.

Call Assistant had been up for about 5 hours when I captured this image. Could the problem be related to the number of phone calls received? I had only received one during this time.

Keller, TX 

0 Likes
CharlesRBasin
I have received 5 calls in the last 8 days. If the program can not handle that call volume, what did the programmers think was the expected usage?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Charles,

Really, don't you think you are just beating this to death? Sure, you have a problem, but not everybody does. I have days where we might received a dozen or more calls, and I have never, ever seen anything like the memory usage you do, and I have Call Assistant active usually from about 9 in the morning 'til 11 at night. So is your problem a Call Assistant problem? Maybe, but maybe not, maybe it is yours (I don't know how, I don't know what, I don't know why, but gee wizz, if CA is that bad, just quit using it, or at least call the Call Assistant Help Desk every day reporting the problem, posting it here isn't likely to get it fixed - this is a "Peer to Peer" forum, not a "report a problem to Verizon" forum, and I don't think any peer here is going to be able to help you).

A suggestion: if you don't want to call, then go over to DSLReports and post in the Verizon Direct forum, that has real Verizon techs solving problems. You need to register if you are not already registered to use that forum, but anything you post will only be seen by you and Verizon techs.

Just MHO of course. And whatever your problem is, I really do hope you get it fixed.

Keller, TX

0 Likes
CharlesRBasin
If you read the thread, you will see that I did call Verizon. In fact I have called them every month since August, and my case is still open. Furthermore there are others who have posted to this thread, reporting the same problem. I am glad you do not have this experience, but it is obviously not a problem specific to my computer. Of course, I do not expect the peer forum to fix this defective software, but it was helpful to learn that others have the same problem.
0 Likes
cprgolds
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CharlesRBasin wrote:

Interaction with what?

Just conjecture from my POV.  All I can say is that if this problem shows up in some cases and not in others there may be something different.

When I said interaction, it was a pretty wide open statement because I really don't know the answer, but things that come to mind are more than one process trying to address the same memory space or a firewall program keeping something from happening.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@CharlesRBasin wrote:
If you read the thread, you will see that I did call Verizon. In fact I have called them every month since August, and my case is still open. Furthermore there are others who have posted to this thread, reporting the same problem. I am glad you do not have this experience, but it is obviously not a problem specific to my computer. Of course, I do not expect the peer forum to fix this defective software, but it was helpful to learn that others have the same problem.

Charles,

A final couple of thoughts:

1) I count 4 or 5 people, including you, on this thread that have a memory problem with CA. I count 2 or 3 that don't, including me. So yeah, there are others, but far from all, and I think if there were more here that did have the problem, many of them would have also posted. So is it a problem specific to your computer? Well, maybe yes, maybe no, it sure isn't everybody's problem. What is the same between you and the others that have the problem, or different from those of us who don't have the problem? I have no idea, but that knowing might help solve your problem, if you can figure it out.

2) Is CA that important to you? I view it as a nice little app, but if it went away tomorrow, or Verizon decided to charge $$$ for it, or if I started having the problem you have, I would really not care that much. On the other hand, if it is really critical to you that CA work, that you really need the info, then I think I would be calling the CA support folks every day, or at least every week, until this was fixed.

As I said before, I hope you get the problem fixed. And it really will be interesting to find out what the problem is, assuming you ever do find out! Good luck.

Keller, TX

0 Likes
BobMcGwier

Justin:

{please keep your posts courteous} 

This is a serious LIABILITY issue (in many states, the Verizon check box for no liability won't hold up in court) and if the CA crashes and burns your computer with the serious memory (and it is as bad a leak as I have seen in years in a released product), they are open to liability.

On the current version of CA,  we are in complete agreement.  It rates a mere yaaawwwwnnn.   HOWEVER, the one that continues to be promised on the page where we are all downloaded the VCA,  is full of AMAZING features.  I just want them to get it right the first time.

Bob

Message Edited by KaLin on 01-01-2009 08:00 AM
0 Likes
bqs
Is there ANYWAY to set a proxy setting so I can get it thru my corporate firewall?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Bob,

I am not a lawyer, maybe you are, but I view your statement that this is a huge liability issue as beyond belief (but then again, I don't have a particularly high opinion of lawyers). You are trying to say that Verizon would be liable for damages in many states because:

1) They offer their customers a free software tool to view calls and listen to voicemails

2) that apparently happens to use excessive amounts of memory for some (a few, many, most? but clearly not all) users

3) and is clearly labeled as Beta 

4) and can easily be removed or not used if problems do occur

5) and can be used via their website without even installing the pc software that may cause the problem

6) and very clearly causes no permanent damage to the customer's pc?

If you believe you are right, then I encourage you to file suit, I think you would be laughed out of court.

Now, I want them (Verizon) to get it right too. I think the new functions they list on the website would be a great step forward. And if there really is a "memory leak" or some other problems, sure, I want Verizon to fix them. But I just simply do not see the memory leak problem, and I am not alone in that. So what is the real problem? Why do you see it and I don't? Rather than talking about liability, why not focus on providing the documentation to Verizon to prove it is their problem, so they can fix it (if it is really their problem).

This stikes me as an incredibly stupid argument, lets stop, ok?

Keller, TX

0 Likes