1.9 questions
ranchfrogs
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a motorola 6416-2  HD DVR unit.  Just go the upgrade to 1.9

1. What are "modes"? I can enable or disable.

2. What is "interactive"?  I can enable or disable

3. How do I get rid of the mini guide at the bottom of the screen that takes up 1/4 of it for 10 seconds (I counted) every time I change channels?

4. My guide is not full screen as advertised... and does not look to be on HD...is it because I have an older DVR?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 1.9 questions
ranchfrogs
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for all the info and help!Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

1. If you watch Live TV and Arrow Right on the remote you get Modes.  Modes let you pick HD, Movies, Kids... channels... For example 

2. There are some channels that have Pop Ups (Interactive) that allow you to go into other menus, games, on demand, widgets.

3. You can't but you can voice your concern here... http://forums.verizon.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/ideas/tab/most-recent

4. You need a 7 Series Moto or Cisco.  I would get a new 7232 DVR box as it allows for more features such as HD Guide and the ability to add eSATA expansion Hard Drive.  Plus it has 3 times the space inherently.

ranchfrogs wrote:

3. How do I get rid of the mini guide at the bottom of the screen that takes up 1/4 of it for 10 seconds (I counted) every time I change channels?

4. My guide is not full screen as advertised... and does not look to be on HD...is it because I have an older DVR?

Thanks

Justin46
Legend

@ranchfrogs wrote:

Thanks

1. Don't know, have never tried to use, have it disabled.

2. Don't know, have never tried to use, have it disabled.

3. You can't, other than by hitting the Exit key. Verizon is certainly aware that some customers, maybe many, feel it stays on the screen too long and takes up too much of the screen. I have the impression that in the next level of the IMG we might see some settings added so those who want a different behavior will be able to set it the way they want.

4. The Guide will not be full screen HD on on a 6416, that old DVR does not have enough graphics power and memory to support the HD Guide. This was specifically mentioned in the 1.9 Release Notes months ago, one of the reasons I replaced my 6416 well before I got 1.9A. Depending on where you live you may be able to easily go to a Verizon store and swap the DVR for a newer one which does support the full screen HD Guide, or you should be able to order a replacement 7232 via the website which is what I did (for the $40 one-time fee).

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ranchfrogs
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks Justin.

Yeah I ordered a 7232 this afternoon. It should arrive in the next several business days...and I'll send back my old 6416.

Ranchfrogs

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@ranchfrogs wrote:

thanks Justin.

Yeah I ordered a 7232 this afternoon. It should arrive in the next several business days...and I'll send back my old 6416.

Ranchfrogs

You are welcome.

One suggestion: in the past, some FiOS customers have reported that Verizon did not credit their account very promply and in some cases not at all when they returned equipment, so what I did when I received my new DVR, I scanned all of the shipping info that came with the new DVR (including the return authorization and label), then packaged up the old DVR in the box the new DVR arrived in and took it to the local UPS store. Verizon has an agreement with UPS to return equipment, you don't pay anything, and you get a tracking number so you can follow the box back to Verizon. Once I saw that Verizon had received the return I "printed" the tracking info to a PDF and saved everything, just in case. Wasn't needed, but I wanted as much proof as I could get that I had returned the old DVR.

Oh, another suggestion: Verizon now supplies only 2-button remotes (TV and STB), so if you want to keep your old 4-button remote (TV, STB, DVD, and Aux), just don't return it, Verizon does not care. And you will have the new 2-button one for a spare if you ever need it. Smiley Happy

Oh, while I am at it, don't forget that there is no way to copy recorded programs from the old DVR to the new, so make sure you have watched any of the old programs before you return it. And if you use Favorites, or have other customized settings, make sure you know what they are so you can re-create them, they cannot be transferred either (this is an issue that Verizon is well aware of that they need to address in the future).

Keller, TX 76248

ranchfrogs
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for all the info and help!Smiley Happy

0 Likes
mozartwon
Justin..I just received an upgraded box (qip7232 for an old 6416) but the new 7232 still has the old guide 1.8, what gives!

Charles
0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@mozartwon wrote:
Justin..I just received an upgraded box (qip7232 for an old 6416) but the new 7232 still has the old guide 1.8, what gives!

Charles

Until they finish all areas, 1.8 is likely to be shipped in all Motorola boxes.  Good news is the first three DAC's have been done with three to go.

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
In areas with 1.9 it will automatically upgrade to 1.9.

mozartwon wrote:

Charles

0 Likes