New programming guide is awful so is almost everythign else about FiOS TV
fioSucks

the new guide is horrible, could read the old without glasses now I need glasses, colors do not contrast properly. who the hell designed this thing??

the FiOS TV pic is fantastic all else about fios is no better and is in some cases worse than cable.

widgets are a joke and rarely work, it is easy to write working software and proper debugging prevents these issues.

I find it hard to believe none of  beta testers did not remark about the font size and contrast on the NEW on screen guide.

at this point I would not recommend fios unless pic quality is your only requirement.

FiOS internet, now that gets a 10 out of 10!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New programming guide SUCKS so does almost everythign else about FiOS TV
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@fioSucks wrote:

I find it hard to believe none of  beta testers did not remark about the font size and contrast on the NEW on screen guide.

Actually there were many complaints during beta testing about color, contrast and font size. What has been released is quite different from the initial presentation.  Based on your screen name I guess you wouldn't like anything that changed and you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that right.

And to answer your question in the other post regarding age, trust me I am more than double the age you reference and closer to triple and I don't have an issue with the font size at this point.

Justin46
Legend

@fioSucks wrote:

the new guide is horrible, could read the old without glasses now I need glasses, colors do not contrast properly. who the hell designed this thing??

the FiOS TV pic is fantastic all else about fios is no better and is in some cases worse than cable.

widgets are a joke and rarely work, it is easy to write working software and proper debugging prevents these issues.

at this point I would not recommend fios unless pic quality is your only requirement.

I do not have1.9, but does what you are seeing look like what is being shown on chanel 131 (TVInfo)? If so, it looks pretty good to me, and my eyesight isn't all that great (getting old.....), but if I were designing it, I agree, I would have chosen to have greater contrast.

FWIW, I know that the beta testers worked hard with the Verizon developers on the colors and font sizes. Lots of changes were made at their request to improve readability. And they seemed pretty happy with most of the final results. It will be interesting to see how many other have the same view as you, and if there are lots of complaints I would guess that changing colors to get more contract would be pretty easy; font sizes might be more difficult, changing those could screw up the formatting I guess.

I never use the widgets, so I can't comment there (and I don't know if you are referring to the widgets on 1.9 or widgets in general). But I most certainly disagree that it is easy to write working software, I was in the technical end of computer development and support for 35+ years and I can guarantee it isn't easy.

I most certainly agree on the internet (how about 11 out of 10 Smiley Very Happy )

Keller, TX 76248

Sdfulmer
I am not a fan of the color scheme. It is rough on the eyes, is there any way to change it?
0 Likes
Re: New programming guide is awful so is almost everythign else about FiOS TV
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Overall, I like the new 1.9 upgrade.  However, I noticed in the Guide menu that it just seemed like a lot of the channels were crammed into the screen and it was a bit overwhelming.  I looked at the other options (half screen, etc.), but didn't like those either.  I did like that the full screen selection gave you a two hour window to see what shows were on, while for example, half screen only does 30 minutes.

To fix the issue, I went into Settings and put the view on "Classic View" or something like that.  It is closer to how the Guide menu was with 1.8.  You still get multiple hours to view on the Guide menu, but there are not as many channels crammed onto the screen, so it is less overwhelming.  You might want to try that to see if it works for you.

As for the font, I do agree to a point that it looks a lot smaller.  I noticed it especially when I went into the DVR menu to extend a recording time for a show.  The window that popped up was definitely smaller than before.  But overall, that is something I will get used to.

GaryQuiring1
Contributor - Level 1

I was a beta tester and I happen to love the new guide.  I want more information on the screen, that's what HD is all about - resolution.  If you can't see the fonts it seems to me you are too far from your TV.  I have a 50" plasma and sit about 9' - 15' and have no issues reading it.  In fact I was disappionted they didn't offer a smaller font to fit more info on the guide.

jesbec508
Enthusiast - Level 2

Get someone to help you. If you dont like FIOS, LEAVE!!!!

PJL
Master - Level 3

@fioSucks wrote:

fioSucks:  What cable company did you say you work for? 🙂

jfhunt1
Enthusiast - Level 1

AGree!!

I can't believe that your new Guide Screen layout made it pasting any consumer testing - if you did any testing at all!!  It is TERRIBLE!  Between the small font size and the foolish contrast between a light blue back ground with smal white font it is impossible to read even with glasses on at 6 to 7 feet from the screen. 

For all the over-the-top self-promotion of FIOS technology that you do, you sure fell down on the job here (it is not the only annoying guide problem, but it is the worst and worhty of me bothereing to set upp an account and note it on these community pages.  C'mon, you know this is bad and it should never have been rolled out in such a useless and annoying condition. 

FIX IT!!!

GaryQuiring1
Contributor - Level 1

@jfhunt wrote:

AGree!!

I can't believe that your new Guide Screen layout made it pasting any consumer testing - if you did any testing at all!!  It is TERRIBLE!  Between the small font size and the foolish contrast between a light blue back ground with smal white font it is impossible to read even with glasses on at 6 to 7 feet from the screen. 

For all the over-the-top self-promotion of FIOS technology that you do, you sure fell down on the job here (it is not the only annoying guide problem, but it is the worst and worhty of me bothereing to set upp an account and note it on these community pages.  C'mon, you know this is bad and it should never have been rolled out in such a useless and annoying condition. 

FIX IT!!!

What size screen do you have that you cannot see the guide at 6-7 feet?  Are you sure you don't have a problem with your TV setup?  Are you running a HD set via the svideo port or composite out?  I have a 50" set and I can easily see the guide at 15 feet.