Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 8,668 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

Is there a method for disabling videos in a browser when using a WiFi mobile hotspot?
DianeOR

My husband and I travel regularly for our work.  When we do this and there isn't a good WiFi source available we will activate WiFi mobile hotspot on an HTC One.  We have found during our last trip that our data usage continues to increase each time we go on one of our trips and use our device this way.  The type of workload we have (email , file exchanges, etc.) does not change too frequently.  However, during our last trip we noticed a significant increase in the data usage we had using the WiFi (we normally average 10-12 GB during these trips, on the last trip we nearly topped out 20 GB).  We checked our other devices and the content of our emails/activity but have not been able to pinpoint a cause for this significant increase in the data usage.  The only other time we've encountered spikes in our data usage was when we intentionally did some video streaming, but that only ate up a few GB at a time.  Right now my only other suspicion is that all of the embedded advertising/videos/banners from websites in our browser sessions may be the cause.  Does anyone have a method for trying to disable some of the videos & moving ads?  I've tried disabling the flash plug-in but that only seems to stop a small amount of this type of content.  We mostly use Google Chrome for our browser, but I do have to use Internet Explorer to access a hosted software, so IE use is very limited.

While we don't mind paying a fair share for our data usage during these trips, if we can't make this work we may have to start shopping carriers to find an unlimited data option.  I'd prefer to stay with Verizon for many reasons, but can't afford to pay for 20+ GB even a couple of times per year.  We weren't lucky enough to be one of those grandfathered into the unlimited data plans from years past.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Who I have the same questioned this topic
No ratings to display.