AOL Has Withdrawn SSL Support for Eudora, possibly others
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Hence when one tries to get Eudora to download messages it cannot connect and one gets an SSL failure popup.  This cannot be corrected.

I called AOL and they confirmed they had done it, essentially since Eudora was an old and unsupported system, they made the decision not to provide the support.  Hence, others who can't get their mail in/out and are using older systems, my be experiencing a similar fate.  As fas as I can see, we're screwed. unless someone else has an idea.

Going to look into Thunderbird

starrin

0 Likes
Re: AOL Has Withdrawn SSL Support for Eudora, possibly others
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

This might be worth reading for those who need or want it

http://nerdfever.com/email-migration-from-eudora-or-thunderbird-to-gmail/

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to let all of us know and click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

TOM

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'm mourning.  I used Eudora on my first computer in 1992.  It was (and is as far as I'm concerned) the best email client available.  It perfectly filters and sorts incoming to mail to nearly 100 individual mailboxes.  I know it in and out.  Now, it's dead.  AOL could have helped by announcing it was coming, but that's not the AOL way.  They simply withdraw SSL support and it suddenly dies.  I have SeaMonkey Mail on my browsers and have begun experimenting with T-Bird.  But with T-Birds what always has appeared to me to be a rather shaky status, how does one know AOL isn't already planning to do the same with TBird.

I'm truly at a loss.  Also have COX available to me, and I could swap ISPs, But that is the last extreme.  But my understanding is that there is no way to acquire a separate email provider that isn't going to trip over AOL after Verizon's sell-out.

Plus, I'm in my 80s, and don't know ifI can go through this again.  I just finished migrating all my files to my laptop after my new HP computer cooked itself. 

Any ideas, thoughts, ANYONE????

starrin

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why don't you look into this:

https://www.google.com/gmail/about/#

When I successfully migrated to AOL I also successfully kept my gmail

Have both of them on my PC's,iPad and Iphones and Applewatch.

Keep us posted on your final decision.

Good Luck.

73's for now

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

I will, but am on the way to take wife to DR (we do a lot of that) But who provides your email connection to the internet with GMAIL?  Isn't it still going via AOL?  My ultimate goal would be to resurrect the Eudora.  But with AOL refusing to provide SSL Suport I'm out of luck.  Guess I need to find out if Eudora will accept GMAIL as a provider, too.

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

All of a sudden about 1600 local today some email is coming in and going out of Eudora.  Have no clue why or what it means.  Will explore the GMAIL over the weekend as I have found a site that tells me how to set up Eudora to work with GMAIL.

Anyone with any ideas please chime in

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Re: " Isn't it still going via AOL? "

Yes I first migrated to AOL then set up Gmail and Outlook 2013 as it was in VZmail.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt AOL even knows its talking to Eudora.  If Eudora doesn't work its likely because its supporting lower broken ssl security protocols, and can't hand;e the newer requirements.

0 Likes
Rook008

I had the same problem where Eudora wouldn't be able to get my verizon e-mail and came here looking for a fix. I found it (I think) in this thread: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/ANOTHER-WEEK-ANOTHER-AOL-VERIZON-EMAIL-SERVER-MALFUN...

About 7 posts down there is a workaround posted by  marthamaria 

It turns out all I had to do was change the POP server from pop.verizon.net to incoming.verizon.net.

Now Eudora is back to normal. 

0 Likes
arclink
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using Eudora and had the same problem. Go into Eudora and follow this chain

Tools - Options - Checking Mail

In User Name make sure that you have the "@verizon.net" included with your user name. That is the cause of most cases of what you are describing

AOL has never supported Eudora since Verizon shoved us over here but Eudora still works.

0 Likes