AOL Verizon.net email broken ("Allow apps that use less secure sign in" setting)
WolfStock

Greetings,

Where to begin.   Long story short - I got a new PC recently, and in the process of trying to get my Verizon.net email account working on the Windows Mail client, I somehow made it such that the email now no longer works on *any* of my email clients.    My wife and I have 3 clients that we have been using for years with this one single account, no problem:

• iPhone email client
  • Android email client
  • Old PC email client (Windows Live Mail)

I just got a new PC recently and wanted to try to use the new-ish Windows Mail app, since Windows Live Mail is no longer supported.   However I could not get it to work at all - it would not retrieve emails from the server no matter what settings I use.  I could send email no problem; just couldn't get it to receive.

In the process of trying to figure that out, I tried this:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Solution-found-How-to-sync-aol-verizon-net-email-wit...

I tried changing the "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" setting.   However now that setting is no longer even there in my account!!!  (There was a note saying the setting was going away in March 2020).

Not only that - but now now of my 3 clients can send or receive email at all!!!

I've tried everything I could think of - all different server settings, all different security settings, and even tried deleting and re-adding my account on the Android app as IMAP.   All to no avail.   It's as if the ability to access my account is now gone!!! (except via webmail, which I do not like)

Can anyone help?   It would be most appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: AOL Verizon.net email broken ("Allow apps that use less secure sign in" setting)
WolfStock

Update - managed to get this to work on all clients:

- On Android and iOS there is an "AOL" email account type; had to remove existing account and then re-add, using this type.

- Windows Mail doesn't support this however, so contacted AOL and found out how to use the "app password" method with IMAP on other clients (Windows Live Mail, and Thunderbird).   It required deletion and re-add of the account on the client.

Kind of crummy that it required these resets on the client side to get it to work, but oh well.   If anyone does this - make sure to save off your old emails if you want to keep them.

0 Likes
Re: AOL Verizon.net email broken ("Allow apps that use less secure sign in" setting)
WolfStock

Correction: I'm using POP still, not IMAP.

0 Likes