Email setup
Satch2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to add a mailbox to my Mac's mail application for my verizon.net email account. It keeps asking me for a password. Is this the same password I use for my email account? It does not appear to work. Is there a link you can give me that tells me how to do this?

note: I do not use outlook. I use Apple's email app

0 Likes
Re: Email setup
prisaz
Legend

@Satch wrote:

I'd like to add a mailbox to my Mac's mail application for my verizon.net email account. It keeps asking me for a password. Is this the same password I use for my email account? It does not appear to work. Is there a link you can give me that tells me how to do this?

note: I do not use outlook. I use Apple's email app

Here are links to the information I could find regarding setting up an Email client. It seems to be Windows based. But the POP3 and SMTP servers would be the same. I also did a search for Apple Email Client.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=apple+email+client

Not familiar with the apple client, see if your client is trying to send the password encrypted. Try sending it unencrypted.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you using a @mac.com email address or an @verizon.net email address

there are slight differences when you configure verizon email vs any other email provider on verizon's network.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The following is a cut/paste walkthru that I just now did for my mailbox on verizon.net (email address changed to protect the innocent) in Maill.app on my iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.6:

Let's add a new account for Joe User  <joe.user@verizon.net>

Mail -> Preferences -> Click "=" to add a new account

On the first Add Account windows:

- Full Name:  Joe User

- Email Address: joe.user@verizon.net

- Password: your verizon.net login password (same one as to get into the forums, webmail, etc.

Click Continue.   This will fail, click "Setup Manually" to continue.

On the Incoming Mail Server screen:

- Account type: POP

- Description: Verizon Mail

- Incoming Mail Server: incoming.verizon.net

- Username: joe.user   (your @verizon.net userid WITHOUT the @verizon.net)

- Password: your verizon.net login password as described above

Click Continue.  This may produce a warning about secure mail, if so, click setup manually.

If you receive the incoming mail security windows:

Use Secure Sockets Layer:  Unchecked

Authentication: Password

Click continue.   If you receive a popup window, select continue manually.

On the outgoing mail servers windows:

- Description:  Verizon

- Outoging Mail Server: outgoing.verizon.net

- Use only this server: Checked

- User authentication: Checked

- User Name: joe.user  (your @verizon.net userid WITHOUT the @verizon.net)

- Password: your verizon.net password as previously described

Click continue.  You may receive a security warning window.  If so, click setup manually to continue.

On the outgoing mail security window if you receive it:

Use Secure Sockets ayer (SSL): unchecked

Authentication: Password

Click continue and review settings.   Make sure "take account online" is checked.  Click Create.

That should take care of the setup.   If necessary, you can click on the account in the accounts window and review the settings for the account.

NOTE: These settings are for the default @verizon.net mail setup.  If you selected the "Yahoo" portal experience when you setup your account with Verizon, you need to change these instructions.  Change the incoming server to: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net.  Change the outgoing server to: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net.  And I believe you need to change the User Name's supplied to include the @verizon.net suffix.

Good luck.  Let us known how you make out.

nifty77

I've been having a problem since January, as well. I can check the email using the web, but I can't retrieve or send mail using Mac Mail (OSX10.6). I deleted the account (that did work before January) and used the instructions above but it didn't work. Under "Mail Connection Doctor" I get "trying to log in to this verizon.net pop account failed. Verify that the user name is correct. Also for the outgoing mail I get "Trying to log in to this SMTP acccount failed....

0 Likes