Getting a lot more spam making it to my email
markperez
Contributor - Level 1

the filtering by AOL is awful. Can't remember a time in the last 5+ years where yahoo passed 1 spam to my actual inbox and now I have to clear my inbox daily since being forced to AOL.

0 Likes
Re: Getting a lot more spam making it to my email
Justin46
Legend

@markperez wrote:

the filtering by AOL is awful. Can't remember a time in the last 5+ years where yahoo passed 1 spam to my actual inbox and now I have to clear my inbox daily since being forced to AOL.

My experience is exactly the opposite! I did not use Verizon Yahoo, rather just plain Verizon email, and I was getting anywhere from 10 to 30 or 40 SPAM emails in my inbox each DAY, and no way I could find to prevent it. Since the migration to AOL Mail I get maybe 2 or 3 a WEEK that get through to my inbox.

Some questions/suggestions:

1) Are you sure the SPAM filter is actually turned on? Should be, but make sure.

2) Have you tried creating your own filters? If not, you really should, they work well.

3) Since wildcards are allowed with AOL Mail, you can be generic to catch SPAM. For example, most of the SPAM I get is of the form name@domain.info where name and domain are unrecognizable (the key part thus being ".info"). The following filter catches everything from @domain.info: *@*.info

4) I still get some SPAM from other sources, but they tend to be predictable and so I have a few specific filters to catch them also.

5) Every once in a while AOL Mail treats a valid email I want to receive as SPAM, don't know why, but it is easy to mark that as Not SPAM.

The net for me is a much better experience than with the previous Verizon Mail.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)
Soon to be a Frontier FiOS customer

0 Likes
markperez
Contributor - Level 1

kind of sounds like you didn't have your filter on or setup right when you were with verizon but AOL is certainly worse that yahoo email ever was

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@markperez wrote:

kind of sounds like you didn't have your filter on or setup right when you were with verizon but AOL is certainly worse that yahoo email ever was

I have never used yahoo mail, never will. As to not having my Verizon spam filter set up correctly, please enlighten me on how to do it better than I did. Keep in mind that Verizon spam filters do not allow wildcards, so I would really like to know how I could have done better. And last but not least, kind of sounds like you don't have your filter on or setup right on AOL Mail.

Eagerly awaiting your detailed reply with examples. Smiley Happy

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)
Soon to be a Frontier FiOS customer

0 Likes
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

I haven't been changed yet to AOL, but for the past several months I get some spam almost every day with Verizon. Evidently Verizon is no longer taking care of spam. I already have an AOL acount that I set up years ago so I wonder how that will be affected when I get the AOL email from Verizon.

Holly 

0 Likes