Mozilla Thunderbird SSL Account Definitions for verizon.net Email Accounts
Justin46
Legend

Since it appears some people are having trouble getting the new SSL email definitions working, here are the account Settings I have been successfully using for four or five months. Maybe these will help some of you.

For privacy reasons I have blocked out my user name and email address.

Environment: Windows 7 Home Premium, Mozilla Thunderbird, Verizon FiOS

To repeat: These definitions work, have been working for months.

Keller, TX 76248

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird SSL Account Definitions for verizon.net Email Accounts
catmcgowan
Enthusiast - Level 3

You forgot to block out your User Name in the last image.

Justin46
Legend

@catmcgowan wrote:

You forgot to block out your User Name in the last image.

Thank you, yes I know I did, but the time for editing the post passed before I realized it. Plus that user name it is really a "throw-away" name, it is just one I have defined to do testing, etc, it is not my primary user name.

Again, thanks for the warning.

Edit: Thanks to ElizabethS the last image has been replaced.

Keller, TX 76248

capelady1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, it did work - last night.   This morning it didn't.  Was able to send, but not receive.  Had to change incoming Security Settings --> Conntection security to none to receive emails. Same for my other verizon account for which I use Eudora.

0 Likes
gasbag1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elizabeth,

Thanks for the post regarding TBird & Verizon. I've been happily using Thunderbird for years to retrieve and send mail, now exclusively under Linux. I made the changes regarding SSL yesterday, all was well, but today only one of my accounts can access messages. All settings are identical, but there's one difference from your screen grabs. I've never used encrypted passwords to retrieve mail. I'll give it a shot, but it seems odd that one account, with passwords in the clear, will successfully download messages, but two others will not.

I must say I'm heartened that encrypting passwords will (might) get my incoming mail, but being able to send messages using an unencrypted password seems a bit of a security hole to me.

Thanks, again,

Geoff.

0 Likes
Fkaye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks much--your instructions were right on. Any ideas for setting up connections on an IPAD 2 ?

0 Likes
eda1
Enthusiast - Level 3

THe account settings don't help unless we also know the proxy setting in Options (Network > Settings).

0 Likes
anonamouse1

Unfortunately, using exactly the settings you describe, I still get the message: Unable to connect - connection timed out. Is it possible that there is something on the Verizon side, in account or access information, that needs to be changed for those setting to work? I really want to be able to connect using linux (ubuntu/firefox/thunderbird anyway. Any advise on the possibility of that?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@anonamouse wrote:

Unfortunately, using exactly the settings you describe, I still get the message: Unable to connect - connection timed out. Is it possible that there is something on the Verizon side, in account or access information, that needs to be changed for those setting to work? I really want to be able to connect using linux (ubuntu/firefox/thunderbird anyway. Any advise on the possibility of that?

I am not sure who you are talking to with the "you" in your post. But if it is me, I am the person that created the original post in this thread, and all I can tell you is that those definitions work without change in Thunderbird 11.0 on my Windows 7 system. I just tested again to make sure that something has not changed on the Verizon end.

Also, tonight I installed Thunderbird 3.1 (very old) on an old 10.04 level of Ubuntu Linux running under VirtualBox on Windows 7 and using the same definitions was able to successfully send and receive emails.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Ikeepaparrot

I want to know, and have been searching for some time now, the settings for using Thunderbird email program.  I absolutely despise Windows Live mail.  Thunderbird is close to Outlook Express and I want to use this program.  Sadly, Verizon seems to do everything it can to avoid giving any information or even speaking about how to set up Thunderbird to work in Verizon.  Is there someone out there who has any idea at all about how to set up TBird to use in Verizon???

0 Likes