OS X Mail app and VZ POP3 mail
mcaranci
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone else have this problem?

I use the OS X Mail app for my verizon.net mail account. The app's preferences allow me to leave a copy of incoming messages on VZ's server for up to one month after retrieving them with the OS X Mail app.

Here's the problem: every so often, when I start OS X Mail, I end up downloading TWO REDUNDANT COPIES of every incoming e-mail for the past 30 days. This does NOT happen every day, or even every week, but when it does, it's highly annoying, and I then have to manually delete the redundant messages in the OS X Mail app. Between last night and tonight I had to delete close to 600 of them.

Any ideas?

Is it a VZ POP3 mail server problem, or is this an OS X Mail app problem?

0 Likes
Re: OS X Mail app and VZ POP3 mail
mcaranci
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just noticed there's another thread herein where others are also reporting this same problem.

One poster is using the OS X Mail app, but another is using MS Outlook.

Perhaps VZ has a mail server problem???

Can anyone at VZ moderating these Forums bring this problem to the attention of the e-mail experts?

Or should we consider switching to another mail service?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The list of mail that your POP3 client has already downloaded is hosted on your computer, not on Verizon's servers. If your client is "forgetting" that it has already downloaded that mail it is an issue with your program, not Verizon's mail servers. (It happens more often than you'd think.)

mcaranci
Enthusiast - Level 3

Perhaps you're right, somegirl.

But don't you find it strange that this happens not only with the OS X Mail client but also with something as established as MS Outlook?

Actually, there's more going on with VZ's mail servers than we'd care to deal with; to wit,

- a friend on att.net frequently gets her e-mails to me blocked for no good reason; she then has to request VZ to put her - again - on their whitelist;

- and on the evening of Monday 13 Sep 2010, I couldn't send verizon.net mail anywhere; I could retrieve Incoming messages, but none could go out; this persisted for about an hour.