Receiving other peoples spam
Sh9168
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just received a spam email. It was sent to {edited for privacy}. Can anyone explain this and how do I get it to stop. It's from Liberty Medical and I receive email spam from them almost every day. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Receiving other peoples spam
Justin46
Legend

@Sh9168 wrote:

I just received a spam email. It was sent to {edited for privacy} Can anyone explain this and how do I get it to stop. It's from Liberty Medical and I receive email spam from them almost every day. Thanks

Your address was probably in the bcc: (Blind Carbon Copy) list. That way, an email can be sent to people without anybody, including the recipient, seeing who it went to.

As to the SPAM from Liberty Mutual, there are lots of options, some may actually work Smiley Very Happy

1) Log into your webmail and turn on the SPAM filter, if it is not already on. That gives you the option to automatically delete any SPAM or to save it in a SPAM folder. I suggest saving it, just in case the filter interprets a valid email as SPAM.

2) If that doesn't do the job, you have the option to create a Block Senders List in webmail. Choose Mail under My Settings, then the Blocking tab, and enter the domain name.

3) If you are using a PC-based client, like Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail, most have some ability to add a sender to a block senders list, or something like that.

4) Verizon does have an email address you can forward emails to that you consider SPAM. I don't have the email address handy, but you should be able to find it fairly easily. As I understand it they will not respond, so you will never know if they do anything, other than I guess if you stop getting the SPAM.

5) You could see if Liberty Mutual has an option to "opt out" and if the do try that. For some companies it will work, for others they just ignore it, or send even more.

Hopefully one or more of the above will help.

Keller, TX 76248

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Common practice of spammers ... they pick a single "recipient" to list in the email contents, but actually send the message to multiple individuals at the same location as a blind CC.  In reality, you are one of recipients who are amongst those on the blind CC (think of it as making a bunch of photocopies of a letter written to Bill and then placing that letter in a bunch of envelops addressed to variety of different people -- everyone sees the letters as addressed to Bill with no reference to their name on it -- but clearly are a recipient because their name was on the envelop).

In short ... it's spam sent to your email address.  If it's consistently from the same sender address or domain and you don't get any legitimate messages from them, you can setup a filter in the webmail interface to pitch it automatically.

Justin46
Legend

In case you want to try reporting the SPAM to Verizon, you forward the SPAM to spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes