Re: Rejected SMTP SSL Certificate
VanessaS

I had the same problem using Eudora 7.1.0.9 starting 2 days ago.  No changes made except for a Windows udpate.  I also run the free version of Avast.  My error message referred to the Avast certificate being no good.  I disabled scanning outgoing mail from Avast, but then got an error message same as referenced above.  To further complicate matters, I have personalities set up in Eudora that allow me to send through Verizon, but receive through a different ISP.

I changed the Avast settings to again allow scanning of outgoing mail.  I then went to the properties of my sending personality, clicked on last SSL info and then on Certificate Information Manager.  At the top was a certificate generated by Avast with a "+" sign next to it.  Clicking on that, I continued to follow the list down to the bottom where there was a Verizon certificate with what looked like a little skull and crossbones next to it.  I highlighted that and told Eudora to accept it and all is currently well.  We will see if it lasts.

0 Likes
Alan_Douglas

@VanessaS wrote:

I then went to the properties of my sending personality, clicked on last SSL info and then on Certificate Information Manager. 

Hot dog!  The Certificate Manager worked, even though it took two tries, first for one from the Netherlands and then one from Irving, Texas.   Thanks.

0 Likes
flameout66

I'm a total novice working with certifs and have the same problems as many others....using Eudora 6.2.5.6

Starting a few days ago, I couldn't send email...Today I cannot check mail. The certificate has expired, obviously.

It doesn't matter if I "add to trusted".

Can someone please tell me the next step, if there is one. I've never done anything with any certifs, ever...

Though, I've been using Eudora for nearly 20 years !

thanx much for any help

0 Likes
tintin237
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm now in the same boat... my version of Eudora is showing the same certificate problem as yours, also from the Irving, TX location. I have tried the various solutions people have offered on the web forums, but without luck. I have right-clicked the dominant personality, opened Properties, selected Incoming Mail, and Last SSL. Every time, I have the same skull-and-crossbones on the last certificate in the list under Cybertrust (which is actually owned by Verizon), and no matter how many times I tell it to Add to Trusted, it doesn't.

Any other suggestions (other than using a different email client)? Is there a way outside of Eudora to import an updated, valid certificate?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I'm going nuts here.

UPDATE: Okay, I decided to have one more whack at it, and sure enough, I had to "crawl" from the top icon (a smiley face) all the way down to the bottom (the skull and crossbones), going through the same miserable steps at each level.

1. right-click the Dominant Personality.
  2. click Properties.
  3. select the Incoming Mail tab.
  4. click Last SSL button.
  5. open the Certificate Manager.
  6. open the smiley face icon tree until you get to the skull and crossbones.
  7. select the top one (and when you repeat this list, select the next, and the next, and so on, until you get to the bottom).
  8. click Add to Trusted.
  9. Click Done (this closes the Certificate Manager).
  10. Close the Personality box.
  11. send a test mail (it will fail until all the nodes are trusted).
  12. repeat steps 1-11 until you finally add the skull and crossbones line to the Trusted list.

Your mileage may vary, but I was shocked when I could finally send/receive email again using Eudora.

0 Likes
kornides

Having the same problem, could not send mail beginning 8/28, but could receive it.

Today, 8/31, could neither send nor receive... so came here.

Doing the steps as above has only restored incoming mail; still can't send, and all the certificates I can see are accepted (smiley faces instead of skull/crossbones).

Anything else to try? I'm loathe to abandon Eudora b/c it works better than any of the alternatives and I have a >20 yr  archive that I don't want to lose.

0 Likes
RadDadTX

I am able to RX mail by trusting the new certificates in the Certificate Manager. These are associated with the pop.verizon.net certificate.

Sending mail is still broken as the SSL negotiation fails and the certificate will not update. This is associated with the smtp.verizon.net certificate.

I also tried renaming my Eudora usercerts.p7b file (manages SSL certificates) and building a new one with the same results. smtp.verizon.net will not update????

0 Likes
jpegman

I came back from vacation 2 days ago and I get this message "Verizon Server SSL Certificate Rejection" which is the same as others report (fig 1). I've used Eudora with a Verizion personality since Windows 8 (when I joined the Verizon family from Comcast) with nary a problem. Nothing has changed on my PC since I came back from vacation (except a few Microsoft Win8.1 updates which got automatically installed when I booted the computer after my vacation.

When I go into properties for the Verizon personality, the Last SSL manager doesn't work since I never used SSL since the last opening (Fig 2)

Anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this problem or find a workaround?

imageimage

Jpegman

0 Likes
flameout66
  • I'm a total novice working with certifs and have the same problems as many others....using Eudora 6.2.5.6
  •  
  • Starting a few days ago, I couldn't send email...Today I cannot check mail. The certificate has expired, obviously.
  • It doesn't matter if I "add to trusted".
  •  
  • Can someone please tell me the next step, if there is one. I've never done anything with any certifs, ever...
  • Though, I've been using Eudora for nearly 20 years !
  •  
  • thanx much for any help

-------------------------------

I was actully able to import a certif from another Eudora I had that expired 2017. Then, simply clicking on the skull and "add to trusted" worked.

The backwards red "L" thru the skull in my pic above abviously means the certif was rejected AND has expired. If there is  no backwards red "L" on the skull, then it looks like a normal rejection and "add to trusted" will work.

I guess my only question now is, what do I do in 2017.....How do you get updated certificates?

0 Likes
flameout66
  • Doing the steps as above has only restored incoming mail; still can't send

remember, there is a different certificate for sending and checking.  I had to "add to trusted" the skull in "tools > options" for both "checking mail" and "sending mail"

0 Likes
flameout66
  • When I go into properties for the Verizon personality, the Last SSL manager doesn't work since I never used SSL since the last opening

I got the same thing at first. But, all I had to do was try to check mail one time after opeing Eudora. You should then get the rejected certicate error...and then you can view the certificate using the manager.

0 Likes